Monday, May 6, 2013

Introducing the 2013-2014 DSAC Co-Chairs

Ever wonder how your Harper Center tour guide got his or her job? These guides, along with the other volunteers you see during campus visits or Admit Weekend, are members of the Dean’s Student Admission Committee (DSAC). DSAC is one of the largest student organizations on campus, given the enthusiasm that Booth students have for the school, and is led by eight Co-Chairs. We’d like to take this opportunity to introduce ourselves, Freddy Elorza and Matt Richman, as the new 2013-2014 DSAC Communications Co-Chairs. We manage The Booth Experience blog, Facebook, and YouTube content, as well as the newly launched Twitter feed.

Matt

I’m originally from the Philadelphia suburbs in New Jersey, and worked in the defense sector in Northern Virginia before Booth. I studied history as an undergrad, and got an MA in Soviet history from Penn. I really enjoy writing, so I got involved with The Booth Experience blog right away during my first year. I’m concentrating in finance and accounting here, and as much as I love my quant problem sets, I missed getting to express myself in prose rather than accounting ledger entries. I wanted to be a DSAC Co-Chair to help other students write about their unique Booth experiences, and to play a role in shaping the messages that prospective students get about Booth.

In addition to DSAC, I’m a member of the Public Speaking Group and the Investment Banking Group (I’ll be doing a summer internship this year at a bank in New York). I love Mixed Martial Arts and have trained regularly in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu for the last five years. A few other Boothies and I get together to train and we are trying to form a student club for next year.


In my free time in Chicago, my wife and I enjoy spending time by the lake, checking out the city’s museums near our apartment in the South Loop, and trying new restaurants in far-flung Chicago neighborhoods.

Freddy
I’m originally from Bogota, Colombia, but my family moved to Miami, FL when I was three years old. I grew up in Miami (GO HEAT!!!) and went to undergrad at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University to study aerospace engineering. After graduation I had the great opportunity to teach high school. I really enjoyed teaching juniors and seniors, but after a few years I decided I was ready for a different setting. That led me to consulting as a career path and business school as the next logical step. Chicago Booth fits my personality really well. I can be a bit of a math geek but get to stretch myself to do things I haven’t done before, like help to write in this blog.

During my first year at Booth I was an active member of the Management Consulting Group, Net Impact, DSAC, and Booth Soccer Club. I will be one of the DSAC Communications Co-Chairs for the next year. I’m most excited about our new Twitter page—follow us @TheBoothExp!

In my free time I enjoy traveling and nature hikes. During spring break I spent nine days touring the National Parks in the Southwest. I went to Zion, Bryce, Arches, and Grand Canyon National Parks. It was an amazing trip, and I highly recommend it to anyone.


Freddy and Matt thank the outgoing Communications Co-Chairs, Dana Fortini and Beth McNamee, for the excellent job they have done with the group and for increasing the visibility of student-led communications outlets at Booth. We look forward to continuing their work, as well as adding some new initiatives. Follow The Booth Experience on our new Twitter feed, and be on the lookout for short videos illuminating the daily lives of Booth students, and multimedia blog posts focusing on unique student experiences at Booth.

Finally, please meet the other 2013-2014 DSAC Co-Chairs!

Tracey Jackson, Admit Weekend
Megan Portanova, Admit Weekend
Josh Hirschland, Campus Visit
Amanda Needham, Campus Visit
Tolu Oyekan, International Recruitment
Cristina Pereira, International Recruitment



We look forward to sharing The Booth Experience with prospective students!
Matt Richman Matthew Richman UPenn TCNJ booth

No comments:

Post a Comment